Since 1954, Walnut Creek Presbyterian Church has outreached to the developmentally disabled community through its various programs. People with special needs ages 16 and up are heartfully welcomed to join in any of the activities
Sundays | 10:45-11:45am | Room 202
The heart of D2 is our Sunday School program. While the idea is to “have fun” learning about God, the real purpose is to introduce our developmentally disabled friends to the saving power of Jesus Christ and to make “church” a positive experience that they can understand and share with friends and family. It is also an opportunity for volunteers to be touched and reminded about the heart of the Christian message and how it applies to all of God’s children.
Generally on Sundays | 12:00-1:30pm | WCPC
A monthly party (actually about 8 times a year) is hosted at WCPC and offers dancing, crafts, singing and just plain fun! Postcards announcing the party theme, date and time are sent out to our mailing list.
Special Olympics programs
WCPRES sponsors two Special Olympics programs
- Basketball from January through March.
- Bowling from September through early December.
Those interested in participating should email Harriette or Norm Heibel, or call 925.372.8150.
If you have a heart for people with special needs, there are plenty of volunteer opportunities. You won’t believe how enriched and blessed you will be. To learn more, contact Harriette or Norm Heibel at 925-372-8150. Here are a few of the opportunities:
- Drivers: we need people to drive 3-4 special needs people from Lafayette and Concord to church on Sunday mornings
- Drivers: we need transportation assistance for our bowling practices after church on Sunday from September through November
- Special Olympic Coaches for basketball and bowling
- Party Helpers for the monthly Sunday gatherings
- Sunday School teachers and assistants to help lead Sunday School worship
- Music Volunteer to help lead singing at Sunday School (about 10 minutes worth)